Leading a Campout
Work-in-progress notes on what you need to do to set up and lead
- Determine site.
- Establish minimum participation required.
(Recommend: 4 for backpacking, 6-8 for car camping.)
- Get Scout RSVPs (ongoing, until the last minute)
- Determine adult leaders
- Reserve campsite (if appropriate - may not be appropriate if
plenty of availability)
- Arrange transportation (including gear and people, including
off-schedule arrivals and departures)
- Create and distribute permission slip
- Tour plan (who has access?)
- Scouts plan meals, shop. (May need to get coolers, dry
goods boxes to them.)
- Plan adult meals, shop.
- Any specialty equipment required?
- Pack troop gear into cars/trucks/trailer
- Collect permission slips
- Collect payment
- Check for current medical forms and get binder from Med
And then after the campout:
- Distribute perishables, cookware, cooler, dry goods to
assigned cleanup Scouts
- Trip review to District web page
- If there were cancellations, figure out what (if any) refund
they can get.